Is Mold Making You Sick?

 

What you need to know about mold and how harmful it can be to your health. Get the facts about mold so that you don’t put yourself or your loved ones at risk. Learn how to recognize the signs of hidden mold that may be growing within the walls of your home, how to prevent mold from growing and how to properly remove mold.

Heavy rains, moisture or plumbing leaks can cause mold to grow inside of the wall cavities or behind the cabinetry in your home. With the rainy season approaching, homeowners need to be aware of these issues because they can cause major mold problems if left undetected.

Mold spores are everywhere, as they are a common component of household and workplace dust. However, when spores are present in large quantities, they can be hazardous and detrimental to your health. These spores potentially cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems.

According to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), 100% of all types of mold have the potential to cause some health effects. Exposure to high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems and in some cases death. Prolonged exposure can be particularly harmful. So what may appear to be harmless discoloration on your walls behind furniture or black spots growing on the walls and ceiling of your bathroom may likely be an issue that needs to be addressed before any of the exposure causes harm to you or your loved ones.

Symptoms of mold exposure:

  • Nasal and sinus congestion, runny nose, nose bleeds
  • Eye irritation, such as itchy, red, watery eyes
  • Respiratory problems, such as wheezing and difficulty breathing, chest tightness
  • Coughing
  • Throat irritation
  • Skin irritation, such as a rash
  • Headaches
  • Vomiting
  • Sneezing / Sneezing fits

These are signs you can possibly have a hidden mold monster growing in your attic, crawlspace or behind your walls. If you notice any of these symptoms, don’t simply excuse them. According to the Mayo Clinic, 93% of chronic sinus infections have been attributed to mold. Mold spores can be spread throughout the home by your HVAC system. According to CNN Money, over 30% of brand-new homes built have mold of some form in them.

Often times, there is not a visible water source, obvious leak or visible discoloration to indicate the presence of mold growth may be growing behind walls or cabinetry.

 

How Do You Know If You Have Mold In Your Home?
– Investigate any musty, foul or unusual odors in your home and address repair of water leaks in
a timely manner

– Check for any signs of water staining on cabinets and flooring, dripping water from the hot
and cold angle stops and p-traps located beneath kitchen and bathroom sinks or above washing machines

– Look for discoloration on the floor around the base of toilets or the walls and cabinets next to
toilets

– Review your water bill for any significant increase

– Water pooling on the outside of your home may be a sign of a plumbing leak

– Paint that starts flaking off or chipping may be a sign of a water problem

– Mushrooms or white, green, or black fuzzy growth on carpets, walls or furniture are likely mold

– Look for discoloration or stains on your walls or ceiling which may be due to a roof, air
conditioner unit or plumbing leak

– Discolored tile grout, warping of wood flooring, or curling or discoloration of vinyl tile or linoleum are often
signs of moisture intrusion

– Replace washing machine hoses that are deteriorated or are more than 5-years old

– Check for water staining on or around the water heater platform or rust on the hoses at the
top of the water heater

– Look for stains or discoloration at the base of kitchen cabinets and toe-kicks near your
dishwasher or refrigerator

– Spraying or wiping mold allows the mold spores to become airborne and inhaled

– Do not place fans in areas where you suspect there may be mold as this can blow mold spores
throughout your home

– Tape down a sheet of plastic over the visible mold area and call a professional to remove it

– Infants, elderly people and people with low immune systems are more likely to be adversely
affected by mold

 

Hire Professionals To Remove Mold – Call SOS Solutions:

– For reputable plumbers who can investigate to confirm if you have a leak or water
intrusion issue

– To have a testing lab confirm the presence of mold and advise how to properly
remove it

– To hire water restoration service companies that specialize in properly drying any wet
building materials and are certified in removing mold

– For contractors that can repair and replace any materials removed due to
water or mold

Know when you should get a certified contractor to address your home’s mold issues. Don’t wait to address an issue and put yourself and family members at risk to being victims of health problems due to undetected mold in your home. Call SOS at 1-888-589-1868 to hire reliable and certified plumbing, water, mold and repair specialists or request services from our website.

Please follow and like us:

Get Help Now
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial

If you found this helpful, please help us spread the word :)

  • Facebook
  • Google+
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn
  • INSTAGRAM
  • SOCIALICON