1. Main Water Turn-Off Valve – It is important that everyone in your home knows where the main water shut-off valve is located and how to turn the water to the property on and off in case you do have a plumbing leak.
2. Read Your Water Meter – If the dial is moving, you may have a plumbing leak.
3. Check For Toilet Leaks – You can check for toilet leaks by putting a few drops of food coloring in your toilet tank and then checking the toilet bowl to see if the water color has changed. If it has, you may need to replace the flapper valve inside the toilet tank.
4. Drain Water From Your Water Heater – If you drain a few gallons of water from your hot water heater twice a year you can maximize heating efficiency. This will ensure the valve is working properly and will clear out all of the sediment that accumulates at the bottom of the tank.
5. Overflowing Toilets – If your toilet starts to overflow, remove the tank lid and hold down the flush valve or turn off the water supply line located in the wall behind the toilet.
6. Water And Drain Valves – Open and close your water and drain valves twice a year to make sure they are working properly and to ensure they can be turned off in case you do have a leak.
7. Water Shut-Off Valve Fixtures – If you know where the water shut-off valves are located, you may be able to stop a water leak at its source rather than turning off the water to the home. There is a valve located directly behind the refrigerator, behind each toilet and at the top of the water heater. There are also hot and cold valves located beneath the kitchen and bathroom sinks and in the wall behind the washing machine.
8. Buy A Plunger – You should have at least one plunger in your home to clear blockages in case your toilet gets clogged.
9. Simple Plumbing Fixes – Keep an extra toilet kit or rubber gaskets handy for simple plumbing fixes.
10. Clearing Plumbing Lines – Do not use chemical drain cleaners if you have a clogged plumbing line. Invest in an auger or a snake to clear the line of any obstruction.
Don’t Be A Victim –
Click to read these blog articles to learn more valuable tips and helpful information:
SOS Solutions is Southern California property owners’ most trusted Contractor Network for hiring qualified, reputable and trustworthy contractors when emergency damage happens.
If you have a plumbing leak or your home is damaged by water, mold or a fire in Southern California, call SOS Solutions for free help in scheduling all of the contractor services you need. Save yourself time in hiring contractors that have already been verified and vetted by experienced professionals for:
- Emergency Services
- Sewage Clean-Up
- Water Restoration Services
- Asbestos Abatement & Asbestos Removal
- Lead Removal
- Mold Remediation & Mold Removal
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Smoke Deodorization
- Water Damage Repairs
- Home Reconstruction & Home Repairs