HOME INSPECTION CHECKLIST
Prevent Water Damage and Mold Growth
Both water and mold can cause extensive damage to your home. Mold can also affect your health and well-being. Unfortunately, with either of these, the end result may be that you have to spend a lot of money hiring a water restoration contractor to dry out your home and companies that specialize in mold removal that can store your furniture while repairs are made to restore your home. If water damage is not addressed quickly or if wet materials are not dried out properly, this can allow mold to grow. Did you know that mold can grow within 24-hours in the right environment? (ie. behind cabinetry, inside walls, behind shower walls, behind baseboards, etc.).
Here are some tips to help prevent water damage and mold growth in your home that may save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
- Install a fan or, at a minimum, open a window to circulate moisture when running hot water in the tub or shower
- Scrub bathroom sink, tub and shower areas with household cleaner weekly to prevent mildew
- Inspect the base of cabinets, walls, baseboards and flooring located near toilets, tubs, showers and cabinetry for water, bubbled or peeling paint and signs of discoloration, staining or deterioration that could be associated with long-term water leaks.
- Immediately wipe puddles of water and find the source of the water leak
- Check caulking around tubs and showers regularly and re-apply as needed
- Check for leaks that might be coming from hot and cold angle stops or water supply lines located beneath bathroom sinks and behind toilets
- Inspect the base of cabinets, walls, baseboards and flooring located near the refrigerator, dishwasher or washing machine to see if there is any bubbled or peeling paint or signs of discoloration, staining or deterioration
- Check inside the kitchen sink cabinet for leaks, discoloration, staining or mold growth that may be coming from either the hot and cold angle stops, water supply line hoses, garbage disposal or reverse osmosis units
- Replace washing machine hoses every few years
- Check for corrosion and leaks around the water lines located above the water heater unit
- Right after it rains, check the attic for moisture and evidence of water from roof leaks
- Air conditioner cooling units located on roofs or inside the home should be inspected regularly for leaks
- Remove wet carpet and carpet padding immediately upon noticing it is wet
- Look for water stains, peeling or bubbled paint, and discoloration at the base of walls and on baseboards along exterior walls as there may be a plumbing leak, water seeping through the exterior walls or coming from the roof or chimney
- Look for signs of staining, discoloration or paint peeling around window sills or on the walls or baseboards below windows from rain water if your windows are leaking
- Leave space or a 3-inch gap between furniture, like beds, dressers or sofas, and the exterior walls of your home to allow ventilation especially if you live in an older home that has a stucco exterior
- Clean and check heat & air conditioning units yearly and change filters monthly.
- Clean leaves from rain gutters and make sure downspouts are properly connected
- Check sprinklers to make sure they are not spraying water directly onto the exterior of the home or near windows
- Install drains to help route water away from your home’s foundation
- Clear leaves and branches from roof valleys
For more informative facts about mold, visit our website at: www.TrustSOS.Solutions
Call SOS for free help in scheduling Professional Water Restoration Contractors and Mold Removal Experts:
- Testing labs can check the mold levels in your home to ensure your home isn’t a toxic environment for you to live in
- Licensed plumbers who can repair plumbing leaks
- Certified mold removal contractors that specialize in proper removal of mold and cleaning HVAC air duct systems
- Reputable water restoration companies that specialize in properly drying any wet areas or materials
- Building repair contractors that can restore and remodel your home
Call 1-888-589-1868 to request free help in scheduling verified and vetted contractors to address your damage or fill out an online service request form.
Don’t Be A Victim –
Click to read these blog articles to learn more valuable tips and helpful information:
SOS Solutions is Southern California property owners’ most trusted Contractor Network for hiring qualified, reputable and trustworthy contractors when emergency damage happens.
If you have a plumbing leak or your home is damaged by water, mold or a fire in Southern California, call SOS Solutions for free help in scheduling all of the contractor services you need. Save yourself time in hiring contractors that have already been verified and vetted by experienced professionals for:
- Emergency Services
- Sewage Clean-Up
- Water Restoration Services
- Asbestos Abatement & Asbestos Removal
- Lead Removal
- Mold Remediation & Mold Removal
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Smoke Deodorization
- Water Damage Repairs
- Home Reconstruction & Home Repairs