TAKE OUR “MOLD QUIZ” 

How much do you know about Mold?

 

  • Is it abnormal for mold spores to be found in your home? (YES or NO)
  • Is it abnormal for mold spores to be found outside of your home?  (YES or NO)
  • Is mold harmful to your health? (Always, Never, or Sometimes)
  • Should you use bleach to clean mold? (YES or NO)
  • Who are most susceptible to health issues if exposed to mold? (Infants, Elderly, people with low immune systems or All Three)
  • Exposure to mold can be fatal (True or False)
  • Spraying, cleaning, and wiping with cleaning chemicals kills mold? (YES or NO)

 

ANSWERS:

  • Mold is everywhere,  both inside and outside of our homes. It is not until mold spore counts are elevated that they can have an adverse affect on our health.

 

  • Using any cleaning chemical like bleach, to spray or wipe mold from a surface, allows mold spores to become airborne. Once airborne, spores are easily breathed into our lungs.

 

  •  Infants, Elderly and anyone with a low immune system are most susceptible to health issues if exposed to mold. Long term exposure can cause allergy like symptoms, other health issues and for some people, exposure to mold can be fatal.

 

  • If you experience allergy like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, and eye irritation or nose bleeds, stomach aches, fatigue, or hair loss, see a doctor immediately.

 

  • If you think you have been exposed to mold, do a visual check of your surroundings to look for signs of discoloration or a fuzz-like substance growing on walls, ceilings, baseboards, carpeting, window coverings or clothing items. Look for signs of mold near rooms like bathrooms, laundry rooms,  kitchens or closets. Also look for these along exterior walls, around windows and inside cabinets and areas where plumbing fixtures for sinks, tubs, showers and toilets are located.

 

  • Do not attempt to clean mold on your own. There are  professional testing labs with certified hygienists that can  take samples of mold to determine the different types of mold,  the number of mold spores both inside and outside of a home or building and whether there are elevated mold spores in specific areas.

 

  • If elevated mold spores are found, it is recommended that you hire a professional mold remediation company that is  a certified mold removal contractor, that can properly clean and get rid of mold.

 

  • Hiring professional mold removal companies can be costly. Your homeowner or building insurance policy may cover this expense up to a certain amount or the entire cost to test, clean and remove mold.

TEACH YOUR CHILDREN ABOUT MOLD:

 

  • What does mold look like? Black spots, white or green spots

 

  • Certain molds look like mushrooms

 

  • Mold can grow on the carpet, walls, shoes, boxes, clothes and blankets 

 

  • Mold can be found in closets and inside cabinets 

 

  • Immediately wash your hands if you think you may have touched mold 

 

  • Do not touch your eyes or put your fingers in your mouth after you have touched mold

 

  • Tell someone right away if you see mold

JENEE' CHILD

CEO - SOS Solutions, Inc.

Article courtesy of Jenee’ Child, CEO of SOS Solutions. Jenee’ Child has 30-years claims adjusting experience working with numerous insurance companies and has personally helped thousands of home and building owners after they have had their homes, businesses or buildings destroyed from plumbing leaks, water damage, fire damage, vehicle damage or mold.

SOS Solutions, Inc. helps protect home and building owners from being taken advantage of by contractors, ensures that property owners have the resources they need to hire reputable and trustworthy contractors and offers free help in managing the entire repair project so the property is restored in the shortest time possible.

Get Help Now